Attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder

What is attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder?

ADHD is when a child or teenager can’t pay attention, or struggles to be still and quiet.



Does your child have ADHD/ADD?

If your child does most of the things under either Inattention or Hyperactivity (below), a lot more so than other kids their age, then you should consider having them assessed by a psychologisy.



• often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
• often has difficulty concentrating in tasks or play activities
• often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
• often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores or duties
• often has difficulty organising tasks and activities
• often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to do tasks that require long times of mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
• often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
• is often easily distracted
• is often forgetful in daily activities


• often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
• often leaves seat in classroom or in other places where they are meant to stay sitting
• often runs around or climbs in situations where they shouldn’t do those things
• struggles to play or relax quietly
• is often ‘on the go’ or often acts as if ‘driven by a motor’
• often talks too much


• often blurts out answers before questions have been finished
• often struggles to wait their turn
• often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)



How do I get help for my child?
The first step in getting help is finding out whether you have a problem. A psychologist with specific training in the treatment of adolescents and children can effectively perform a professional assessment, which will identify whether you have an addiction problem, and will recommend the treatment most appropriate for you.
To make an appointment or get advice, contact me here.